Veteran Colorado teacher Vicki Heisler shares this memory from 2000; before NCLB was enacted!
“.. I will always remember.. friends from The Netherlands talking with me about how foolish our education system was not to adopt the recommendations of our professional associations into our classrooms. They made it clear that the Dutch schools were using these best practices in their own schools successfully.
Now I understand that the Dutch may be following the market-driven practices which are crippling our children. I hope this is NOT true.
Our system is destroying young minds rather than nurturing them. We claim to celebrate diversity, but measure standardization. Without creativity and innovation, what will our future look like–a nation of mindless hyper consumers dependent upon others for every thought?”
Read here about her using primary sources from the Library of Congress to support effective instructional practices: http://www.loc.gov/teachers/tps/quarterly/elementary/spotlight.html
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- 21st Century Virtual Academy will expand to K-6
- Pearson Data System Hits Bumpy Ride in North Carolina
- Ed. Dept. Makes Protecting Student Data a High Priority
- On the Front Lines in the War on Poverty
- When Education Is But a Test Score
- Governors Urged to Seize Pre-K Momentum
- Saving Progressive Education From Itself
- De Blasio heads to Albany for pleas and protest
- A Compromise to Advance the Trade Agenda: Purge Negotiations of Investor-State Dispute Settlement
- Advocates says NY schools tour shows funding lack