The concern: “..when is recess coming back in the elementary schools? That is an ax all of us parents have been grinding for a long time. Parents were very angry about recess being taken away almost ten years ago. Many parents left the district over that alone. It’s time to reinstate afternoon and morning recess. There is lunch recess only.”
The response: “..I do have several observations ..made from school visits and data reviewed on academic growth. First off I would definitely agree that exercise/play time for children of this age range is very important for so many reasons. I don’t think anyone denies that point.
I will say however that given the major importance of a sound elementary education foundation for future success is not debatable either. The needs and expectations on our young children are very high in this day and age of learning.
Many of our students come to school at different starting points including ahead of the game as well as behind. By electing to give more instructional teacher-student time our students at all levels are being better served.
And given that the school year is so limited (about 170 days this year) this I’m sure came at a cost of some play time. But please note teachers and administrators are very aware of our little ones attention spans and needs for “wiggling”.
So I have definitely observed very encouraging and clever classroom strategies to allow students to move, stretch, jump, wiggle, and simply change venues in a classroom so as not to be simply glued to a seat.
.. Many of our elementary schools offer after school programs that incorporate physical activity.
There is without a doubt a strategic commitment to making all students strong readers sooner than later since the lack of literacy skills is the single largest risk factor for students…”
Board of Education President
Weld County School District 6
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- State not finished with El Paso cheating scandal
- Brand names in NY standardized tests vex parents
- "Common core" education task force to meet
- Indiana panel taking up school standards debate
- A-F School Grading Targeted in N.M. Equity Suit
- How to Create a New K-12 Engine
- Resistance to the Common Core Mounts
- Common-Assessment Groups Differ on Accommodations
- Two Districts, Two Approaches to Common-Core Curriculum
- CU system resets health care with $63M personalized medicine division